Heartland only takes referrals from other Marion County civil legal aid organizations. We cannot help you unless:
- You have applied for assistance from at least one of the providers listed below;
- That provider determines that you meet our referral guidelines;
- The provider provides you with a referral form (with a copy to us); and
- You contact the number on the referral form before the deadline (usually 30 days).
If your case is in Indianapolis (Marion County), please contact one of Heartland’s referral partners listed below.
If your case is in another county (even if you live in Marion County), please visit IndianaLegalHelp.org to see a list of legal resources for that county.
Indiana Legal Services
Intake: Call (844) 243-8570 between 10 am – 2 pm, Monday-Friday OR apply online.
- Family law (divorce, custody, paternity, child support, third party custody, parenting time, adoption)
- Consumer law / Bankruptcy (Chapter 7, garnishments, medical debts, defending against debt collectors)
- Re-entry (expungements, specialized driving privileges)
- Housing (landlord/tenant, land contracts, ordinance violations, foreclosure)
- Public benefits (social security, garnishment)
- Immigration and language rights
- Senior issues (powers of attorney, guardianship alternatives, debt defense, bankruptcy)
- Tax issues (Federal)
Center for Victim and Human Rights
Provides legal representation for victims of crime and human rights violations.
Intake: Online (may take up to 3 weeks to process)
Areas of Practice:
- Protection Orders
- Humanitarian Immigration Relief
- Crime Victim Rights Enforcement
- Paternity / Child Custody for victims of domestic abuse
- Title IX of the Education Amendments of 1972 20 U.S.C. 1681 & 34 CX.F.R. Part 106 (1972)
Indianapolis Legal Aid Society
Intake: Call (317) 635-9538 to make an appointment with an ILAS attorney. Fee for the initial appointment is $10.
- Family law (divorce, custody, paternity, child support, third party custody, parenting time)
- Housing (landlord/tenant, ordinance violations, subsidized housing)
- Senior issues (guardianship, powers of attorney)
- Re-entry (expungements)
Neighborhood Christian Legal Clinic
Promotes justice through legal representation and legal education for low-income neighbors as a way of demonstrating Christ’s love.
Intake: Schedule an appointment
- NO FAMILY LAW
- Housing (landlord/tenant, foreclosure defense, ordinance violations)
- Consumer (bankruptcy, debt defense)
- Re-entry (expungements, specialized drivers license, license reinstatement)
- Estate planning (wills, powers of attorney, medical directives)