Eligible Case Types
- Getting a divorce
- Guardianship of a minor
- Modifying custody or parenting Time
- Modifying child support
- Step-parent adoption
- Protective orders
- Filing for Chapter 7 Bankruptcy
- Defending against collection lawsuits and garnishments
- Foreclosure defense
- Eviction damage hearings
- Land contract disputes (tenant/purchaser only)
Estate and guardianship issues:
- Small estates
- Preparing wills, powers of attorney, health care directives, and designation of guardian
- Adult guardianship
Total household gross income (before taxes, insurance, and other deductions) must be under 125% of the Federal Poverty level. For 2022, the limits are:
- 1 person: Up to $16,988 per year ($1,416 per month)
- 2 people: Up to $22,888 per year ($1,907 per month)
- 3 people: Up to $28,788 per year ($2,399 per month)
- 4 people: Up to $34,688 per year ($2,891 per month)
- 5 people: Up to $40,588 per year ($3,383 per month)
- 6 people: Up to $41,200 per year ($3,433 per month)
Heartland’s services are limited to Marion County, Indiana. This means that:
- For regular civil cases: The case must be filed in Marion County, Indiana, and priority is given to those who live in Marion County.
- For bankruptcy cases: The debtor(s) must live (reside) in Marion County.
** Heartland can accept cases where the client does not live in Marion County, but the client must be willing and able to travel to Marion County for attorney consultations, court hearings, and any other proceedings or meetings regarding the Marion County case.
If your case is somewhere else in Indiana, please visit Indiana Legal Help to find organizations that serve your county.